18 March 2016

The theism question

I posted this some weeks ago on Quora, but thought a wider audience might care to see it. I've edited some material that isn't very relevant, and fooled with the punctuation.


I did not and do not think that theism is necessarily irrational. It follows rationally enough, from premises that I regard as made-up.
<digression>
Please bear with me. I owe this observation to a perceptive former student of my father's.
The private schools in England, where I was educated, had spent the 19th century, and probably the 18th, churning out empire-builders: teaching boys to be the military officers and civilian administrators who would turn "Wider still and wider // Shall thy bounds be set" from poem into reality. After 1947, such people were no longer required, but high technology certainly was, as was culture, so the schools set themselves a new task: to churn out creative and innovative individuals. Eccentricity had long been tolerated, but now it was to be encouraged. Traditions and ancient assumptions were still important, but they could be questioned. And the questions deserved thoughtful answers.
</digression>
As a young boy, I knew I had to look both ways before crossing the street, and I knew why. I knew that it was customary, when eating, to hold the knife in the right hand, because that was the dominant hand, but since I was left-handed, I often held it in my left hand. I knew that the school began each day with a hymn and a prayer, then a few announcements by the head teacher. I didn't need to ask why the announcements were made. And I never got a serious answer about why the hymn was sung and the prayer whispered. Tradition, to be sure, and pretty-sounding tunes, but that was all. I tried to sing in tune.
When I got older and could ask better questions, there was the same shortage of answers ... of thoughtful answers. God the creator? Sorry, we more or less understand how the Earth formed from a disc of gas and dust. God the lawgiver? The school makes the rules for us boys, and Parliament makes them for grown-ups. Redeemer? My parents love me; I'm not a Sinner with a capital S, just occasionally naughty. Celestial cop? not when the other boys are getting away with X, Y, and Z every day. And so on.
I don't ask anyone to believe that my thinking on this subject was watertight, or that it is so today. But a massive weight of evidence pointed, in my mind, to theism being an excuse to sing pretty songs and occasionally threaten people with divine vengeance for doing things that, for the most part, weren't especially evil. Oh, and give comfort to the insecure by telling them that, yes, in the end the good guys will win. But my limited knowledge of history already had shown that the only way to make the good guys always win was to use a flexible definition of "good". When I was a boy, we were deep in the Cold War, whose least unlikely outcome seemed to be that a modus vivendi would solidify over generations whereby the USSR didn't actually threaten us, nor we them. There did not seem to be much that gods could do to help. Certainly they had not yet done so. (I hadn't read or heard of Judges 1:19.)
Summary: theism as a hypothesis could account for only a few things, which already had more detailed secular explanations.
There also seem[ed] to be real advantages accruing to people who "had no need of that hypothesis". If you used physics instead of Genesis 1, you not only knew why the Earth and Sun were here, but you could build aircraft. If Parliament made the laws, it could change them in response to new developments (when I was born, England had only the feeblest of laws against drunken driving, and none against advertising tobacco products. Just to be clear, on principle I believe that if a product can legally be sold, it should also legally be advertised, but that's a separate argument.) As for the good guys winning, we beat Hitler with a little help from the USA, we beat Napoleon with a little help from Russia, and the USSR could be contained if not beaten. Except in Vietnam. Yes, I supported that war, like the parents in The Free Electric Band Lyrics .  Being an atheist did not make me all-wise, nor does it now.
One more thing. My schools emphasised Latin and Greek, and those subjects brought classical mythology in their wake, which was fun. I was perhaps better acquainted with the Twelve Olympians than with the Three in One And One In Three. It did not escape my attention that the gods of Homer, with their all-too-human frailties, were now deemed worthy of a place on the fiction shelves. Clearly it had been possible for intelligent, cultured, civilised, technological people to sincerely worship deities that existed only in their imaginations. Equally clearly, people were much the same two or three millennia later as they had been in those times. QED.

No comments: